IK Multimedia of Modena in Italy released a Brian May collection for their industry-leading AmpliTube Custom Shop guitar amplifier and effects PC, MacOS and iOS modelling software in August 2019. Costing £99.99, it is available as download direct from the IK Multimedia and Brian May Guitars websites or the Apple stores.
It emulates the following gear used by Brian May:
- 2 Amplifiers (Vox AC30 Brian May and Brian May Deacy amp)
- 3 Speaker cabinets (2×12 Brian May Vox AC30 with Celestion Blues, 2×12 Brian May Vox AC30 H70, 1×6 Deacy amp)
- 7 Effects pedals (Boss CE-1 Chorus Ensemble, fOXX foot phaser, Harmonator, Dunlop Crybaby Wah Wah, Red Special Star Gate, Brian May Guitars Treble Booster Classic)
- 2 Rack mounted effects (analogue Chorus, harmonator)
- 6 Microphones (Vintage Dynamic 20, Dynamic 421, Dynamic 441, Condenser 67, Condenser 170, Ribbon 121)
This emulation software is one of the cheapest and most straightforward ways to recreate many of Brian May’s tones, especially the complex three amplifier, twin delay Brighton Rock solo. It is ideal for quiet practice when used with a suitable interface such as the iRig HD2 and monitor headphones and as a travel outfit when used with a Guyton RS Transporter, for example. Renowned professional guitarist Jamie Humphries helped develop the tone patches and you can watch him demonstrate the software on this official video:
The software has numerous factory presets which allow the user to simply select a Queen track or live tone from a list and instantly dial in the settings to the effects chain. These are illustrated in the image gallery and include Hammer to Fall, Keep Yourself Alive, I Want it All, The Show Must Go On, These Are The Days Of Our Lives “Live Magic 86” or “live setup 2019”.
“A key element of Brian’s distinctive sound comes from his Red Special guitar that, famously, he hand built with his father in the 1960s from spare parts and household materials. Because the guitar is such an integral part of his rig, IK’s engineers went the extra mile to even create a new stompbox effect that helps simulate the Red Special’s tone and controls. This offers guitarists a more authentic musical experience that pays homage to this living legend.”
Return to the Musical Equipment section home page: